Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Sweet and Sour Braised Red Cabbage
Source: Joy of Cooking, 2006 edition, and many other good cookbooks -- this is a classic recipe! (Entered by Janice Matthews)
An old favorite with turkey, pork, or game, it’s also delicious in a completely vegetarian or vegan setting. Try pairing it with a potato dish for special oomph!
Serves: 4 servings
1 medium red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
2 slices bacon, 2 T. butter or 2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 large green apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
2 T. honey or sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
Step by Step Instructions
- Quarter, core, and thinly shred the cabbage, then place it in a large bowl and cover it with cold water.
- In a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over low heat, either cook the bacon until it has rendered most of its fat, or heat the butter or oil until it is fragrant.
- Cook the onion in the oil, stirring, until it is golden.
- Lift the cabbage out of the water and add it to the pan, along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very soft (1 to 1 1/2 hours), adding boiling water if the mixture becomes dry during cooking. Or, if liquid is left when the cabbage is done, uncover the pot and cook gently until it is absorbed.
Comments added by fellow market members.