Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Tacos de Quelites — Tacos of Garlicky Greens
Source: Traditional (Entered by Eric Wagoner)
There are lots of recipes out there for “authentic” Mexican spinach quesadillas and similar dishes out there. Few of them will tell you, however, that none of those dishes were traditionally made with spinach. It’s a cool weather crop that has trouble growing here in Georgia, much less in the more arid and hot climates further south. What does grow well, both here and there, is the even more nutritious Lamb’s Quarter, and this is what modern recipes replace with spinach.
Serves: Makes 8 tacos
Step by Step Instructions
- Warm tortillas in steamer, oven, or microwave.
- Boil greens in salted water until barely tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, cool, and roughly chop.
- Sear onions in oil until golden brown (about 10 minutes). Add garlic and salt and stir for one minute. Add greens and stir for one minute more. Season to taste.
- Sprinkle mixture with cheese.
- Assemble tacos at the table.
Comments added by fellow market members.